Before I had kids and even after I had my first, I was quite relaxed about the whole bed time routine thing. My stance was – she’ll go to sleep when she’s tired and there’s no point in me getting stressed trying to aim for a specific bedtime; especially when we haven’t got anywhere to be the next day. Add a second child into that “no specific bedtime” crap mentality and all hell breaks loose!
Nowadays, 7pm is bedtime and I ain’t messing about. It’s dinner, bath, bed. Light off. Door closed. See you tomorrow.
7.30pm means I was moving too slow in kitchen and I can’t expect them to eat faster just because I’m slacking. So I’ve got to give them an extra 30 mins to digest the food. I’m a fair person.
Any little people awake after this time indicates; illness, teething, loud guests or we’re not at home.
Since having my second child, knowing that bedtime is 7pm is the one thing that keeps me going when the kids are quite frankly doing my head in. I love them to pieces but MY GOSH there are some days where I ask myself:
“Is 6pm too early for bedtime?” (not if you don’t mind getting up at 4am!)
The key to success is consistency and getting the toddler into bed first. Toddlers are loud and inconsiderate for the most part. So once you eliminate the foot stamping and spontaneous screaming, you are about 90% of the way to freedom.
You might be wondering why I’m so eager to get them into bed in the first the place?
- I haven’t sat down once or I have whilst also acting as a climbing frame.
- I’m starving and I just want to eat my food without someone crying in it or straight up taking it off my plate.
- I need to have at least one decent conversation that is not interrupted by crying, choking or “mummy, I want to go toilet”,
- I cannot tidy up while they are awake.
- Sad as it sounds, sometimes I just enjoy sitting or moving around the house without another human being attached to me.
- I might need a shower.
- I might need sex.
- I might want to watch Keeping up with the Kardashians… Not Mr Tumble… Not Sofia the First and DEFINITELY NOT… TOPSY AND F*CKING TIM.
- I might want… a glass of wine. Which would 100% get kicked over if my kids were awake. And I’m such a lightweight now that if I did dare to drink it while they were awake, I can’t guarantee that I would actually be able to parent.
- The earlier they go to sleep, the happier they wake up in the morning. And there is nothing more fulfilling than waking up to the two most beautiful, happy, smiling faces.
See… I do love them! But life is definitely better when you’ve got the bedtime routine on lock!